Running from Cancer 0
Debilyn Smith author of Running from Cancer was on the health first radio show talking about her struggle with Cancer. Debilyn stated that 50% of cancers can be prevented if only people would focus on doing what they need to do to protect their health. This includes, not smoking, maintaining a healthy weight with a diet of vegetables and fruits, oils and proteins, drinking lots of water, and reducing risks by eating less red meat, using less toxic skin care products, avoiding stress and excess alcohol and taking Vitamin D regularly.
Might seem like a no brainer but Debilyn says that too many people choose to do things that are detrimental to their health but when something like Cancer hits they really wake up
Have you woken up yet?
- Bold Apps
- Tags: cancer
Could Cancer Be the Best Thing ? 1
According to Bill Aron, in his book New Beginnings the Triumphs of 120 Cancer Survivors, for some people Cancer is the best thing that ever happened to them. Cancer survivors point to the fact that the diagnosis and treatment of the cancer provoked them to make significant changes in their lives.
Bill said that from his cancer experience and after interviewing 120 people for the book he found that typically cancer survivors go through 4 stages. 1. Diagnosis, 2. Treatment 3. Silence 4. Acceptance. It is in the silence stage after all the busyness of the diagnosis and treatment when nobody is asking how you are doing anymore and seem to have moved on in their lives that the Cancer survivor is faced with "What do I do now" "What is the meaning of life" "What should I do with the time i have remaining on earth?" This is a important time and there is no more old normal!. What are you going to do with your remaining days?
Can Cancer be prevented with Turmeric? 2
Recently I was talking to Dr Ajay Goel who is the director of Epigenetics, Cancer Prevention and Genomics at Baylor University Medical Center Dr Goel has been studying cancer treatments for the past 20 years and has written over 100 scientific articles. Click here to listen to the interview.
During the interview Dr Goel was talking about how when he first got his PhD and wanted to make a difference in the world, he started looking at the difference in cancer rates around the world. He found that India his country of origin had one of the lowest cancer rates in the world while the USA had one of the highest. However within one generation of Asians moving to the US that the risk rates were similar. His research led him to believe that diet and lifestyle were the contributing factors to cancer rates. Dr Goel further found that the spices used in cooking Asian foods, primarily the curries have huge medicinal benefits that include lower cancer rates. The primary spice of beneficial effect was turmeric. Curcumin is the extract of Turmeric
Dr Goel said that recent research on Curcumin shows that 500 - 1000 mg of Curcumin extract can reduce your chances of getting cancer. Curcumin can also reduce inflammation, improve moods and help with treatments of depression, Alzheimer and Parkinsons.
Perhaps we all should be eating more Turmeric or taking some curcumin on a daily basis.
9 Proven Ways To Reduce Your Cancer Risk, Every Day 0
- No smoking or use of any type of tobacco - If you're a smoked, you can minimize your cancer risk by stopping now. It may not be easy but the benefits are almost instantaneous. Medical professionals have found that a person's health can improve within minutes of the last puff and the advantages can last a lifetime.
- Keep your home and car, smoke free - All the cancer causing ingredients in cigarettes, cigars and pipes are also found in secondhand smoke. Even the remnants of tobacco smoke on surfaces, known as third-hand smoke, can be a health hazard.
- Being active - Research shows that regular exercise can reduce the risk of breast and colon cancers.
- Start heart-health diet - Eat at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, switch to whole grains, limit your salt and choose healthy oils and fats.
- Limit alcohol intake - Some research suggests there may be benefits to drinking alcohol in moderation, it's best to watch the amount you drink. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends no more that 1 drink per day for women and 2 for men.
- Avoid too much sun and use protection - The journal Cancer Epidemiology, Biomakers and Prevention found that women who had at least 5 sunburns between the ages of 15 and 20 had an 80% increased risk of melanoma. Most skin cancers can be prevented with good skin care, which means avoiding prolonged sun exposure and wearing sunscreen everyday.
- Breastfeed - Breastfeeding lowers estrogen levels in the body, which is protective factor breast cancer.
- Hepatitis b and HPV vaccines for your children - 2 childhood vaccinations can ward off cancer later in life. Hepatitis B is a virus that is spread through contact with bodily fluids, causes 80% of all primary liver cancers. Since 1990, hepatitis B rates have fallen more than 80% - a direct result of the hepatitis B vaccine. HPV is a group of more than 150 sexually-transmitted viruses that can cause cervical and vulvar cancers.
- Book a cancer screening program - Regular screening and tests such as mammograms, colonoscopies, and prostate exams are recommended for specific age groups. Speak to your doctor regularly about cancer screenings based on your risk factors, age and medical history.
- Dave Fuller
- Tags: cancer
Can walnuts reduce breast cancer risk? 0
According to a study carried out by researchers from Marshall University School of Medicine, it found that mice who were fed a diet that included walnuts on a daily basis had half the risk of developing breast cancer.
Elaine Hardman, PhD., and team researched to determine what impact having a moderate amount of walnuts in the animals might have, by splitting the mice into groups of two. One group received a diet containing the human equivalent of 2 ounces of walnuts everyday. The other group were fed a normal diet without walnuts.
The team found that the mice fed walnuts throughout their lives developed breast cancer at half the rate of the other mice. Even though the mice who were fed walnuts did develop cancer, their tumors were smaller and less numerous.
According to Andrew W. Saul, PhD. author of Doctor Yourself, Natural Healing, ample intake of Vitamin D, about 2,000 IU/Day, can cut breast cancer incidence by half.
In the summer, the average person should take 1,000 IU of vitamin D if they have at least 15 minutes of sun exposure. In the winter, those with dark skin, or those who have little sun exposure, should take up to 4,000 IU each day.
Click on our link for MomsVitaminFix for more information.
Does Sitting Around Cause Cancer? 0
People who spend too much time sitting around while at work or play seem to face a higher risk for certain types of cancer according to a new study. The finding is published in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute.
This research follows a review of 43 prior studies that involved more than 4 million participants and nearly 69,000 cancer patients. The study team found that those who spent the most time watching TV or sitting at their office desk, saw their risk for colon cancer, lung cancer, and endometrial cancer go up. For every additional 2-hours per day spent sitting, colon cancer risk rose by 8%. Similarly, lung cancer risk rose by 6%, while endometrial cancer risk rose by 10%.
What's more the link between inactivity and cancer held up even among those who mixed routine physical activity in with prolonged sedentary behavior.
The researchers say this suggests that sitting around too much is a decidedly unhealthy habit, even for those who are not entirely inactive.
- Dave Fuller
- Tags: cancer